A daily routine with your dentures will help you get the most out of your dentures, minimise odours and stains, keep your dentures looking like new and help them last longer. Here are some tips that will help you get the most out of your dentures.
- Your dentist will show you how to take your dentures in and out. Make sure you are comfortable with taking them in and out before leaving the clinic.
- Let the dentists know of any sore spots that your denture may be causing and this can be adjusted whilst you are in the dental chair.
- When you first eat with your new denture, start with soft foods.
- Remove your dentures before going to bed at night. This gives your gums time to breath, rest and will also help you stop grinding your teeth at night whilst you sleep.
- Clean your dentures with liquid soap and a soft toothbrush. After cleaning, dentures can either be kept in a cup of fresh cold water or left to dry.
- Also remember to brush your gums, tongue and palate morning and night with a soft toothbrush.
- Denture cleaning tablets such as polident and sterident are also available at chemists and supermarkets.
- Plastic denture boxes are a good way to store your dentures at night to help prevent breakages.